Welcome to Choklett's Blog

Welcome to Choklett's Blog
Love the life you live, and live the life you love.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

So how you feel about that...

If anyone know anything about me, they know that I have been a big fan of weaves.  I got my first weave in 1995, my 12th grade year.  (Wish I could find a picture)

They started off as a natural length, big and poofy - kinky straight, moved to the silky straight, then graduated to virgin indian hair of 24 inches.  I went through the curly, wavy, and straight weaves, and would rock it.  The bigger and longer the hair, the better I liked it.  And my weaves looked like they were growing from my scalp....  They were right!!  Here they are....

Me & 2 of my brats.. My lil sis & youngest son
  

Full weave.  I tried a short look
Workout in the mountains on a misty day = frizzy hair
   

I remember about 2 years ago, I was ready for SLs and walked into a hair salon and saw some BEAUTIFUL Brazilian Curly weave hair.  My mouth dropped and I nearly salivated at the thought of how bomb that would look on my head.  Although at the time I couldn't purchase it (I needed it long and it would have been $500), I KNEW that my reaction and "lust" for this Brazilian weave meant that I was not ready for SLs.  So I put it on hold.  

In fact, just 2 months prior to getting my locks installed, I was in a weave... 

But one day, after taking my weave out, I dried and flattened my natural hair and looked in the mirror and HATED my look!  Although I had shoulder length hair, I felt like my hair was too short and I just didn't feel attractive.  I started to question myself.  Why does it take for me to put 2 feet of Indian textured hair to feel beautiful?  It may sound a little extreme to some, but think about it... How many ladies suffer from "low-self" when they don't have their weaves in?  It was at that time that I decided that I was done and was ready for SLs.

Well, the weekend after my SLs were installed, we took my son to an amusement park for his 4th birthday.  There were weaves everywhere (LOL).  Most of them were a bit of a H.A.M (Hot A** Mess), but a couple of them were really nice.  But the interesting thing is when I saw those ladies, (not to mention my sister's hair that stays absolutely BEAUTIFUL & flowing)

  
(That's her on her prom night with my Mom & I)

I thought the hair looked really nice, but that was it.  I didn't feel like I regretted my decision.  I actually was amped because I knew that soon enough, my hair, although not straight, would one day be as long as their weave.  Here is my beautiful cousin with her long locks.  She has been a great inspiration in my journey and a great wealth of knowledge.  I remember when she first got them installed.

And this isn't the longest her hair has been!
Now don't get me wrong, I love to see a beautiful hairstyle, locked, curly, braided, twisted, or straight.  Hair helps us to feel beautiful.  Different styles give us different looks.  But, I have moved past the idea that straight is the best....

A couple of days later, my husband was watching a TV show and he called me in the room.  He showed me the actress on the screen, who had a very nice weave in her head, and said "Look at her hair... How do you feel?"  I replied, "Oh, it looks nice.", his next question was, "Do you miss your straight hair?", and my honest answer was "No, I love my locks!"  

No comments:

Post a Comment