Welcome to Choklett's Blog

Welcome to Choklett's Blog
Love the life you live, and live the life you love.

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Sisterlocks??? Hmmmm....

I remember as a 13 year old girl, when I got my first relaxer...  I was soo proud at how straight my hair was!  I was a tender headed child, that hated to get my hair combed.  And although my mom would spend what seemed like an entire Saturday in the kitchen trying to press my hair, sitting under a fan, the heat would cause me to sweat in my head, which worked against all that was accomplished.  I wore a relaxer for years...  it was my friend between the cornrows, the individuals, and the weaves.  But there was one problem... my hair would only grow so long.    I was finally talked out of a relaxer by my hairstylist.  She told me that my natural hair texture was beautiful, and she could press it well... and it would leave my hair much healthier.  So after 17 years of getting a relaxer, I decided not to get another touch up. I did not to the big chop, but slowly the perm was cut out.  During that time, I wore presses, weaves, and kinky twist extensions.  Although I had "natural hair" I did not know how to manage it, it was always altered somehow by the style that I rocked at the time.  But underneath it all, I noticed that it was at its healthiest!!  Around 2008, I begin to spark interest in Sisterlocks.  I have 2 relatives and a really good friend with them and found them beautiful.  But as beautiful as they were, I didn't feel like they were for me.  I was in love with my weaves, that would hang up to 22 inches, and I loved my straight hair.  But as time passed, I began to grow increasingly annoyed with the fact that my pressed hair required daily touch ups to maintain the look (which was brutal to my hair), and the weaves were cute until they started growing out.  I really started to play with the idea of ME wearing Sisterlocks....  "By the time I am 40, I will have them" is what I said...  Around 2010, I began to grow much more comfortable with my natural hair.  Although I still wore the pressed hair and weaves, I was okay with having "poofy edges" that did not lay down perfectly straight.  I would rock twist-outs or afros with my hair.  And my interest in Sisterlocks continued to grow, praise God for the blogs and you-tubers out there.  Those ladies gave me so much information and helped me to move toward my comfort level with Sisterlocks.  So in 2011, I decided, by the end of the year, I would be locked.  I have 2 relatives with traditional locks, and 2 relatives with Sisterlocks.  Although my family members, and others, are beautiful with traditional locks, I love the look and versatility of Sisterlocks... I have decided that I really want them....  But there is one problem that stands in the way....  The initial stage of Sisterlocks are very different looking to me; they are not nearly as beautiful as how they look once they mature.  I have this conversation with everyone that is close to me that will listen....  The question that comes up is How Bad Do You Want Them?  So I keep asking myself the same question....  What is it that I want....  Are Sisterlocks really for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment