Welcome to Choklett's Blog

Welcome to Choklett's Blog
Love the life you live, and live the life you love.

Saturday, August 6, 2011

My babies are almost 1 Month old!!!

So, it has been nearly one month since I installed my babies.  Exactly 4 weeks in 4 days.  I go for my re-tighten on Sunday early afternoon.  Tomorrow, I will braid and band my hair and wash it with my "Special Shampoo".
It's crazy how it took years for me to get comfortable with the idea to LOCK my hair.  I just knew that I couldn't do it because I would have withdrawal episodes from the pressing comb or the weave tracks!  LOL... I had so much anxiety about how the "early stage" would look on me.  Would it make my head look big?? Would it show my weak areas?? Would I be able to style it??  Would my hair look too short??  Would I like it??  Would my husband like it??  All these questions of doubt circulated time and time again before I felt comfortable with the idea.  Until one day I, my husband, and other family members just got fed up with all the skits about my hair.  My impulsiveness  led me to schedule a hair appt to lock my hair just before my sister's wedding that I was gonna be a bridesmaid.  Uhm, yeah, what a way to address all of those questions head on!!!!  Well anyhow, I am coming to my first month anniversary, and now all of those questions have disappeared... and I only have one question now....  What took me soooo long to get Sisterlocked???  LOL

Man, this decision has been the best!  There are absolutely NO regrets!  I have never felt so free with regards to my hair.  It took me less than 90 minutes and $0 spent at the hair salon for my curly do for the wedding.  In the morning, when getting ready for my day (I am NOT an early bird) it takes me 5 - 20 minutes to style my hair, depending on if there were rollers/braids set in my hair the night before.  I can spritz my hair with Oil & Water mixture or Water only, shake my hair, and go!    My attitude of "take me as I am"  has jumped to an all time high...  I no longer am self-conscience that my hair isn't bone-straight and hanging half-way down my head.  I feel just as beautiful with my short locked hair as I did when it was flowing effortless down my back....  It has even sparked a new love for accessories and eye make-up, daring me to try flashy/edgy combination and rock them like "Know About Me!  Lol!  I can work out, and sweat as much as I can, and NOT worry about what to do with my hair!!!

There is something to this natural hair thing that is soooo liberating!  Not feeling as though your day, mood, or look is determined by how your hair is....  And guess what... I LOVE IT!!!

There are a few things that I am looking forward to with my SLs....

  • Going swimming without any worries of hair (Right now they are somewhat too fragile, so I still must make precautions with water in my hair)
  • My SLs thickening.... (I'm thinking within 3-6 months)
  • My hair growth to at least bra-strap length (I'm thinking within 2 years)
  • The many different styles and versatility that my SLs will bring. 

So in a nutshell, at Month 1, I am extremely PLEASED with my decision!  My hair is starting to get that ball/knot at the last 3/4 to the end of each lock.  I don't want to get too excited so I won't say that it is budding.  My hair has had some slippage over the month, and about 4 locks came unraveled.  I have a tad bit new growth and my locks are trying to thicken a tad bit.  I will wash my hair for the first time tomorrow, so I am looking forward to that.  I was instructed not to bother them too much because the water may cause excessive slippage or unraveling.  So, I was very obedient!  Here are some pictures (before the washing)...

FROM THIS (7/13/2011)

To This  8/5/2011

Back
Top

Side
Just me, OMW to work, in the car,
 2 day old Bantu Knot Curls which took me less than 5 minutes
 of shake, spritz, & go on my hair this morning.  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment